Thursday, February 9, 2012

Banana Marshmallows

Good Old Fashioned Homemade
Banana
Marshmallows.. 
well..maybe not old fashioned..but yummy banana flavor nonetheless!
I LOVE Banana Laffy Taffyand if you do too..I think you'll love these!
Lately, I've made quite a few marshmallows.
My favorite recipe right now (for taste, texture & feathery lightness) is this one.
Sweet little pillows of wonderfulness...
This easy recipe begins by combining the unflavored gelatin with cold water.
 Stir together with a fork.
Set aside. 
 I should just go ahead and buy a gallon jug of corn syrup!
 Use a wooden spoon to stir your sugar mixture..
This candy cooks to the soft ball stage.
My Mom..the fudge making Queen..
can do all this with no thermometer!
Alas, I myself can not...*sigh*.
So, I rely upon my digital candy thermometer.
Once you reach the soft-ball stage, remove pan from heat & mix in the gelatin *bloom*.
Let this sit while you beat the egg whites.
Soo many flavors to choose from...
 I decided to go with 1/2 teaspoon of banana flavor, which was a good thing as I spilled the rest of the tiny bottle! I also used this much (see photo) yellow gel food color.
  Carefully pour the hot sugar mixture into the mixer bowl of egg whites on low speed. 
I also added my flavor and color.
 Mmmm..the smell is heavenly..
 Set your timer for 10 minutes and turn your mixer onto high speed.
 Ahh..lovely :o)
(make sure you prepare your pan with non-stick spray)
  This wonderful recipe is the easiest one I've found to handle. It spreads prettier & easier. It is also less sticky than others. 
 And, the next morning, your finished candy effortlessly peels right up!
 All the recipes I've seen call for a confectioners sugar and corn starch mix on which to lay and cut your candy.
I've decided I'm going to stick with all confectioners sugar. To me, it just tastes nicer :o)
 Cutting the marshmallows with a pizza cutter dipped in 10 x sugar is a breeze...
 Pretty yellow ribbons..
 Place your cut candy in a bowl of 10 x sugar and give it a shake.. making sure you've coated all the pieces.
 Marshmallow Recipe
2 Tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup hot water
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon LorAnn Oils banana flavor
1 cup 10 x sugar
Sprinkle gelatin over a small bowl with half cup cold water. Set aside.
In a heavy bottomed , straight sided saucepan,
mix together sugar, corn syrup, hot water and salt.
Place over medium heat stirring until sugar is dissolved.
Continue cooking, without stirring, until mixture reaches soft-ball stage.
Remove from heat, add gelatin and set aside.
In mixer, with whisk attachment, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
With mixer on low speed, add the sugar mixture, flavor and color.
Turn mixer on high speed and continue mixing for 10 minutes.
Pour the candy into your prepared pan, spreading evenly. Cover with parchment paper lightly sprayed with non-stick spray. Let stand overnight.
Turn your marshmallows out onto your work surface, coated with 10 x sugar.
Cut with pizza cutter and toss in a bowl of 10 x sugar.

I LOVE ALL YOUR COMMENTS & READ EACH ONE!
Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog today :o)
Sweet & Happy Baking
from
Sugartown Sweets!

10 comments:

  1. Karen I can not wait to taste these they do look soo yummy and you make me feel very special to take the time to make these for me,you area very special sister and I love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My nephew and I experimented with flavored marshmallows this summer and our favorite was the banana. Looks like a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth @ Hungry Happenings! ..i love that we can make so many different flavors! :o)

      Delete
  3. I have been so frustrated with trying to find marshmallow bananas here in Abbotsford BC Canada, at a reasonable price. I just made my 1st batch tonight. I guess we'll find out in the morning how they came out. Based on the taste from the spatula & the beaters, I think they will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought making marshmallow was tricky, but seeing now .. seems to be a lot simpler than I thought .. and the homemade ones are a lot tastier than those industralizados .. from now on I'll start to do it myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Marlene!! Happy Marshmallow Making! :o)

      Delete
  5. I only have banana extract. How much would I use? I know oils are stronger from my pizzelle making!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to, LorAnn's Oils, you can substitute 1 teaspoon extract for 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of oil flavoring. Hope this helps!

      Delete