Saturday, March 24, 2012

Jolly Ranchers *Stained Glass* Easter Egg Ornaments

Jolly Ranchers *Stained Glass* Easter Egg Ornaments

You may remember the Candy Lollies I made back in January.
I had so much fun making those, so I thought it was time to revisit the melted Jolly Ranchers! 

This time, I'm making them EGG~stra special.  ;o)

I've also made Stained Glass Candy Crosses. Click here for instructions.
Wouldn't these make a beautiful holiday table!
The best thing about these are, they are so simple.
Plus, you need only one ingredient..
JOLLY RANCHERS!
You will also need a metal egg shaped cookie cutter.
Spray both the cookie cutter & icing tips with
 non-stick cooking spray. You will need the tips to make small holes in the ornaments so you can hang them. I used Wilton #10 & #12 icing tips.

If you've never crushed these candies before, they're VERY hard! Place them in a large baggie and just start smashing. I tried using the blunt end of my knife sharpener.
The candy actually cut the handle!
So I looked for, and found my hubby's trusty dusty hammer. This worked much better!
All smashed up and ready to go..
I learned a couple things making these..
#1. Don't skimp on the candy
Unless you don't mind...
 ....them turning out like this.
I found an adorable little cookie cutter at
Walmart. It took me three attempts to make this cute little bunny as I kept breaking
the little ears off...
Lesson #2. Keep the cookie cutter  design simple..at least for me anyway.
Success!
(only temporarily..i later broke his ear off during his photography session)
Place your candies on a parchment paper lined
baking sheet. Bake on 275 degrees 7-10 minutes,
depending on thickness of candy layer.
Remove from oven..
Immediately and firmly press cutter into candy. 

Turn the icing tip upside down and press into top of  ornament. 
Let cool 5-10 minutes. Remove icing tip and lift cookie cutter, peeling away the excess and gently pressing out the candy egg.
Whoo hoo..more success!
Here's another example of making a thin layer egg.
...........................
This one..I like!
I really liked the way this one turned out too!
Pretty pink, yellow and orange.
Check out the border!
It stayed intact!!
Ahhh..lovely...
Another border intact..really cool I thought. :o)
Just playing around..
All you need is candy..and a little time to have some fun!
*Stained Glass* Candies
Jolly Ranchers (hard version)
Non-stick cooking spray
Metal cookie cutter
Metal icing tip (i used Wilton #10 & #12)
Parchment paper
Ribbon
Preheat oven to 275 degrees
Crush candies, place on parchment lined baking sheet. 
Bake 7-10 minutes till completely melted.
Immediately and firmly, press metal cookie cutter into candy. Position metal icing tip upside down pressing firmly. Let cool 5-10 minutes.Remove icing tip. Lift candy off pan and  gently press your finished shaped candy from the cutter, peeling off any excess. 
Tie on your ribbon. Now you can admire your beautiful ornaments!
.................................................................................
Sweet & Happy Baking 
from
Sugartown Sweets!
...........................................................
I love reading all your comments!
Thank you for stopping by my blog! :o)


17 comments:

  1. So simple but so cute! Love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So creative and cute,great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Shay & Donna! I was so excited to make these! :)

      Delete
  3. These look so cool. How fun to have them hanging around at Easter. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so colorful and "springy." Love!!!
    Stephanie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found this on Hungry Happenings. Thank you for sharing it! My boys will love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tammy and you're welcome! Have fun creating! :o)

      Delete
  6. Do they get stcky? Wonder if you could seal them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just keep them in a cool/dry place. My daughter has asked me to seal all my melted candy crafts..I just haven't done it yet. I guess I need to do some research on that to see exactly how it's done! :)

      Delete
  7. These are so cool! Pretty for the holiday and yummy for the day after! They would be great at Christmas time too, hung up with holiday bows to look like ornaments. I can't wait to try them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I work for WomansDay.com and we found this Easter craft on your blog. We're hoping we could feature it in an upcoming article about edible Easter crafts. I'm reaching out to you to gain permission for the photos as well as to be able to link to your instructions. We would of course provide attribution. Please let me know as soon as possible as my deadline is Wednesday, March 19th. You can reach me at msorren@hearst.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. <3 this idea for eggs & the crosses!!! I've old whiskey cookie cutters (ie shortbread) that I can use for animals & designs inside the eggs. You rock for the inspiration & to-do-how!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoo hoo! Thanks for the awesome compliment..and have fun creating!

      Delete
    2. You don't say what to do with the cooking spray

      Delete
    3. Sorry you missed it..this is a really long post! I made the photos larger so it's easier to see. You just spray the cutters and tips liberally with the non-stick spray. Thanks for stopping by and happy creating!

      Delete