Sunday, October 12, 2014

Apple Cider Caramels


Apple Cider Caramels..do we need one more recipe?

Yes. We. Do.

While I know these candies have been around for several years, I've only recently found them myself. 
It was love at first google image.

I studied through several versions of this caramel recipe, before making just a couple of changes. One being to go with equal amounts of both brown and granulated sugars. I've never used anything other than brown sugar in my caramels thus far, so...this just makes me feel happy! I'm also adding a little corn syrup to these in hopes of getting a firmer candy without refrigerating them. 

There were two recipes with which I based mine on. This one and this one.
Thank you Annie's Eats and Smitten Kitchen.
Plus, I learned how to make boiled cider syrup. There are so many possibilities here. Win!

My A#1 Awesome Hunky Hubby and I are blessed to live close enough to apple country which makes an easy trip of acquiring cider...and fried pies..and donuts..and cookies..oh my!
If you can't get your hands on any local cider, or would like to try some Mercier's like I used, click on my link.
The difference in making these caramels as opposed to my original caramels is the apple cider reduction.

Turning 4 cups of cider into 1/3 cup, takes 40 minutes over medium high heat. I did stir mine almost continuously. 
The smell is pure apple-y cider-y heaven!
When I thought I had reached my 1/3 cup goal, I measured it only to find I wasn't quite there yet. So I just poured it back into my saucepan and got it right on the second measure. Remove pan from heat.   
Add butter, sugars, cream and corn syrup.
Attach thermometer to pan.
Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until the thermometer reads 252 degrees. Mine went to 252.4 and turned out perfectly. Remove from heat.
Stir in apple pie spice.
Pour into prepared pan. Let sit till candy "hardens". I cut mine the next morning. Perfect!
Apple Cider Caramels Recipe

4 cups Apple Cider (reduced to 1/3 cup)
1 stick butter (i use salted)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar (firmly packed)
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice

 Begin by preparing pan with parchment paper. I used tin foil since I used a round pan. I found that I much prefer parchment. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.

To make boiled cider, cook 4 cups over medium high heat, stirring occasionally (or more..like me) until reduced to 1/3 cup. This took me 40 minutes. Remove from heat.

Stir in butter, granulated and brown sugars, corn syrup and cream. Attach candy thermometer. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thermometer reads 252 degrees. This took me an additional 14 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in apple pie spice. Pour into prepared pan.

Let set at least a couple of hours. I let mine sit overnight.
Remove candy from pan. Lightly spray long, sharp knife with cooking spray. Cut caramels using a sawing motion. Wrap in wax paper squares. 

Now you can make a lot of friends happy here. I took my sweet little candies to church this morning and gave them all away. 
I enjoyed hearing all the candy compliments!

I did have a little "leftover" candy. 
As some others have said, melting this back down with a little more cream would make an incredibly delicious topping for cinnamon ice cream.
Or apple pie..or apple bread..or cinnamon toast..oh dear!
Happy Fall & Candy Making From
Sugartown Sweets!

Thank you for stopping by.
All comments and new members are welcome!


4 comments:

  1. Now thats a new one on me, never heard of them but you make them look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete