Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Caramel Apples

 

My grandson called me the other day and wanted to know why he couldn't find my caramel apple recipe on the blog! Well I was flabbbergasted as I realized that I had never posted it! And seeing how we are already a third of the way through fall,  I thought now is the perfect time. Thanks, Isaac! 

There are tons of beautiful caramel apples on the web. Today I am sharing with you how I make mine! 

Five simple ingredients of, butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla are all you need to cook up this sweet confectionery treat.

I couldn't believe my luck at finding a pack of these adorable treat sticks in my sugar supplies. You can always use candy apple sticks or popsicle sticks as well.
After thoroughly washing and drying apples, insert sticks. I use a dab of dish soap to wash my apples and I also wash my tomatoes and citrus fruits this way and have for many years. 

Now let's make some caramel! Melt butter over low heat. Stir in corn syrup and then condensed milk.

Attach candy thermometer and crank up the heat to medium, stirring candy mixture constantly.


Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Set aside to cool 15 to 20 minutes so the caramel won't slide right off the apples!

You can do a dip test to see if the caramel has thickened up enough to adhere to apple.
Yep! It's just right. Dip and then place on parchment lined pan.

If you look closely at the core, you can see the juice sizzle a tiny bit as you dip the apples!

Oh yum!! We did it! 🍏

Y'all! Ain't these perty?!
It's time to dig in and enjoy!

Caramel Apples

12 medium Granny Smith apples

Caramel Recipe

2 sticks (1 cup) butter

2 1/4 cups brown sugar, firmly packed

1 cup light corn syrup

1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk

1 teaspoon vanilla


In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in brown sugar, then add corn syrup and condensed milk, mixing well.

Clip on your candy thermometer while making sure the tip does not touch bottom of pan. 

Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until temperature reaches 246 degrees F. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

Set aside for 15-20 minutes to cool slightly.

While caramel is cooling, wash apples and dry thoroughly. I use a dab of dish soap to wash mine.

Insert sticks into apples.

Line a pan with parchment paper.

By now, caramel should be ready for dipping. Test an apple to see if caramel adheres without sliding off. 

Dip apples and place on parchment paper.

I made 6 caramel apples and poured up the other half so my sweet hubby could have his favorite caramels! 😋


Happy Fall Y'all!

John 3:16

'til we sweet again, Karen! 💗


4 comments:

  1. Yummy!! I’ll have to try this!! I love caramel apples!! And Gwen does too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You will be able to try them soon because we're making them at Isaac's party on Thursday!

      Delete
  2. The apples look simply divine and the perfect fall treat. In fact, one of my favorite fall treats!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim! I don't know who dipped the first apple in caramel...but I'd like to thank them!!

      Delete