Friday, January 11, 2013

Chocolate Covered Coconut Chocolate Milk Marshmallows


Have you ever wished you could find THE BEST homemade marshmallow EVER?! Yay..you found it here, and I invented it! Ok, so I had some help with the basic recipe. Click here for that delicious recipe. But this Coconut flavored marshmallow, will now be my signature candy! So..I've been thinking about making Coconut marshmallows for a very long time. I was planning on using coconut milk, but when I opened my pantry, I was sad to see (only) coconut chocolate milk. But, I wasn't sad for very long! I made them and let me tell you, they are dreamy! I may have mentioned before, I love coconut flavored sweets. Coconut texture, not so much..unless it's in a Mounds bar. I also used coconut extract and coconut spray oil. Of course you can substitute any non-stick spray if you don't have it on hand.
My kitchen smelled sooo good...like a tropical vacation good!
Making the bloom.
I need to call Hunky Hubby for a Starbucks run!
Adding salt to the above ingredients, you will cook this to the soft ball stage.
Homemade marshmallows are really easy after you've made them a couple times. Just make sure to invest in a good candy thermometer. Once you reach the soft ball stage, remove from heat, add bloom and set aside while you whisk egg whites. Once you've achieved stiff peaks you will slowly add the hot sugar mixture.
Be very careful here! This sugar is HOT!
I pretty much sprayed the entire pan, even all over the top, because marshmallows are a sticky business.
mmmmmmmmm.....let marshmallows set at room temperature overnight..if you can!
I LOVE this stuff, melt some..
And a'dipping we will go! Place dipped candies on parchment paper lined baking sheet to set.
Aforementioned Hunky Hubby loves almonds, and since I love him so..I dipped 'em in chocolate. ;)
I ordered these awesome decorators bottles from Copper Gifts.
 You're gonna love these!
Coconut Chocolate Milk Marshmallows Recipe
2 Tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup cold coconut chocolate milk
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup hot water (from the tap)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
non-stick spray for pans~I used coconut oil spray

Sprinkle gelatin over a small bowl filled with the cold coconut chocolate milk. Set aside.

In a heavy bottomed, straight sided saucepan, mix together sugar, corn syrup, hot water and salt. (my sweet hubby bought me a couple of All-Clad pots that I use only for candy making)
Cook over medium heat stirring until sugar is dissolved.
Attach candy thermometer to pan, making sure it doesn't touch bottom of pan. Continue cooking, without stirring until candy reaches soft ball stage. 235 to 240 degrees fahrenheit.
Remove from heat, add gelatin and set aside.

In mixer, with whisk attachment, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. With mixer on low speed, carefully pour in hot sugar mixture, and flavor. Turn mixer on high speed and mix for 10 minutes.

Pour candy into your pan prepared with non-stick spray. I used  mini muffin tins. I cut off the corner of a gallon size baggie, filled it with the marshmallow candy and piped it into the muffin tins. Super easy! 
Let stand at room temp overnight.

You will be licking the bowl with this recipe..yum!
All that's left is the fun part..chocolate dipping!

Wishing You All A Sweet Day From
SUGARTOWN SWEETS!

Comments are welcome below. :o)

4 comments:

  1. Karen you are killing me here-my 2 favorite things and they are so yummy looking-why do you wait til I come back to Virginia to cook up these amazing looking balls of deliciousness????? I will be expecting a package REAL SOON!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, thanks for your comment on my blog. You should really visit a Christmas market when you come to Germany. And I have to say that your blog looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope we make it over there someday. :)

      Delete