Thursday, September 18, 2014

Hot Chocolate Caramels

.
It's hot chocolate and sweater weather somewhere,
and here at Sugartown Sweets, we are ready for it!

I made Hot Chocolate Caramels just for you!
Well..maybe I did make them for me *wink*!

The chocolate flavor came out a bit subtle in these. I used two packets of cocoa in my recipe. I will use three in my next batch, so that is what I am recommending to you.
Either way, YUM!

To remedy the fact that I didn't take step-by-step photos, I am posting links to my other caramel endeavors.
 It will be caramel photos overload!

Click on the links to see all the yummy fun.



Now we're ready to make some candy!

Hot Chocolate Caramels Recipe
1 cup salted butter
2 1/4 cups light brown sugar (firmly packed)
3 packets hot cocoa ( i used Swiss Miss dark chocolate sensation)
1 cup light corn syrup
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Prepare dish (i used an 8 x 8 square pan) by lining with parchment paper. Spray lightly with non-stick spray. Set aside.

Using a straight sided, heavy saucepan (my fave is the 4 quart All-Clad), melt butter over low heat.
Stir in brown sugar and cocoa packets.
Add corn syrup and condensed milk, stirring well.
Clip on thermometer, cut heat to medium and stir constantly till candy thermometer reaches 246 degrees.
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
Pour into prepared dish.
Let candy sit till set. I usually don't cut mine until the next day.

The best method I've found to cut these delish candies, is to lightly spray a long, heavy and sharp knife with cooking spray.
With a long, sawing motion, cut caramels into strips, then cut the strips into smaller pieces. 
Wrap candies in wax paper.

Now just try and stop yourself from eating more than you know you should!

Sweet Wishes From
Sugartown Sweets!

Welcoming all comments and new members.
Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. What a super cool idea, looks like those diet aides back in the late 60s that mama used to keep in kitchen drawer and we ate them like candy when she wasnt looking,lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha sis! Wonder if Mom thought she was going nuts or something! We ate so many of those caramel-ly diet candies that we should all be skinny for life. Funny stuff!

      Delete
  2. Hi, I was just wondering, how much hot chocolate mix are in each package? I don't have any packages of the stuff. We only have loose mix in the house and it's around 3 tablespoons for each serving, so would that be around 9 tablespoons, or should I just go with how much is in each of your packages? Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Julia!
      Currently I do not have any mix on hand, but I do know that each packet weighed 1.25 ounces.
      I hope this helps!

      Delete