Saturday, February 29, 2020

Almond Brittle

Happy Leap Year Day!!

2.29.2020

I don't know a single soul born on a leap day, but just in case some of you were,
Happy Birthday, Leaplings!
And hey, if you'd like to celebrate your very rare and special day with a sweet treat, how about trying some of my yummy Almond Brittle?!
It's crunchy, buttery, and just downright deee-licious!

When I saw Recipe Girl's Almond Brittle made with slivered almonds, I knew I had to make some!
Any time I have a chance to try some good old fashioned homemade candy...count me in!

I made good use my super yummy Peanut Brittle Recipe as the base and just switched out the peanuts for the almonds. Then I went a little nutso and added an extra cup of almonds to use a total of three! 😛
Y'all! This is addicting and I think you're going to like it!
My hunky hubby sure does!
 The ingredients I used: slivered almonds, butter, sugar, corn syrup, water, baking soda (make sure it's fresh), and vanilla.

You will also need a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Place pan in a 200 degree F oven to warm while making candy.
 Couldn't you just dive right into this bowl of crunchy almond heaven!?
To make this delicious brittle, in a heavy bottomed 4 quart pot, combine sugar, salt, corn syrup, and water. Set heat to medium and stir mixture constantly.
Attach candy thermometer and continue stirring until it reaches 250 degrees F. Add almonds and butter and continue cooking and stirring until candy reaches 305 degrees F. 

Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and baking soda combining well. Watch out for some fun bubbling!

Pour mixture out onto heated baking sheet. Use a fork to spread candy being careful not to touch this really hot sugar!
Oh my brittle goodness!!

Let candy cool.
Can you stand it?!
I usually let my candy set just enough to harden before I break it up into pieces because nothing beats a still warm piece of sweet brittle!
  One more shot to make you want some! Ok! Now here is the recipe!

Slivered Almond Brittle Recipe

2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt 
12 ounces (3 cups) slivered almonds
3 Tablespoons salted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda (make sure it's fresh)

Place a parchment lined baking sheet into a 200 degree F oven to warm while preparing candy.

In a heavy bottomed 4 quart saucepan, combine sugar, salt, corn syrup, and water. Attach candy thermometer and stir continuously until candy reaches 250 degrees F. Add almonds and butter continuing to stir until candy reaches 305 degrees F.
Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla to incorporate well.
Pour candy out onto warmed parchment lined baking sheet. Use a fork (or two) to spread the brittle.
Now all you have to do is wait until candy sets so you can break it up into pieces.

I L💗VE it warm!!
Thanks for stopping by!

'til we sweet again, Karen 💗

No comments:

Post a Comment