Sunday, November 6, 2011

My 2nd Post! Pretty in Pink Birthday Cookies



I knew I wanted to make something special for my sister-in-law's birthday this weekend. Bakerella  and Bake at 350 are two of my favorite blogs. Well, when I saw these adorable Posie Cake cookies on "Bake at 350", I knew I had to try them! With the pretty colors and simple lines, to me, they are the perfect cookie! :o)   


Begin by flouring your rolling and cutting surface.

I love this cake cookie cutter!
Gently peel off the outer layer of cookie dough.
Parchment paper..your new BFF! I began using it only 3 years ago..don't know why it took me so long!
Cookies cooling on the racks..
You will use full strength Royal Icing to outline your cookie. If you're like me, this part is a bit scary. I'm fairly new to the 'piping cookie' world. The good news is, if you make a mistake (like I did) you can gently scrape off the outline and try again! Yay!
You will be using the Royal Icing thinned with a few drops of water to "flood" the cookie once it has set to dry for 15-20 minutes. a squeeze bottle works great for this.
Fun, fun, fun!
Use a toothpick to spread the icing into the corners..take your time here as there are no do-overs on this one.
While the icing is still wet you can add your polka dots..just a drop.
Ahh..so pretty!
I love this technique. While the icing was still wet, I drew in some lines and dropped in some dots and swirled with the tip of a sharp knife. Of course the toothpick would work just as well.
Made a "Home School Teacher" apple cookie for my daughter while I was at it! 
Wheee..this is really fun..
The party hat.
Now we let the cookies dry for a couple hours. 
This is the adorable part! Using a #6 tip, pipe on large dots. Using #1 tip, pipe on the pink swirl. Then using tip #3, pipe on the green leaf...you did it!
I absolutely love this cookie design. Thanks www.bakeat350.blogspot.com :o)




Cut Out Cookies Recipe

2 sticks butter softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and extracts mixing well. 
In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. 
Gradually mix the flour mixture into the butter mixture. 
Roll out dough. Dip cookie cutters in four before each use.
Bake 6-7 minutes.



Recipe for Royal Icing

3 Tablespoons Meringue Powder
4 cups sifted confectioners sugar
6 Tablespoons water

Beat all ingredients at low speed 7-10 minutes until icing forms peaks.
 Makes about 3 cups.

2 comments: