Saturday, January 1, 2022

Granny Dunn's Famous Pecan Pie

Granny Dunn's Pecan Pie recipe has been around for over eighty years and I can't believe I finally got around to making it!

We all agree it was not THE pie she so lovingly made for so many years, but we also agree it was really good! And this was most assuredly just the first time I made it. There will be more!

Now, let's make pie!


Begin by combining sugar, dark syrup, and butter in saucepan and cook over medium heat stirring mixture until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.

In a separate bowl, beat eggs, vanilla, and salt until light and frothy. Add egg mixture to sugar mixture, stirring to combine.


Add pecans to your own unbaked pie shells.
I used deep dish shells, but I will use regular in the future.

Bake pies in a 375 degree oven for 5 minutes.
Turn oven down to 325 degrees and continue baking for 35-40 minutes.
I baked mine for the full additional 40 minutes.

Full recipe ↴

Granny Dunn's Famous Pecan Pies

1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
salt (I used 1/2 teaspoon)
3/4 cup dark syrup
2 large eggs
2 2/3 cup pecans (divided)
2 unbaked pie crusts

In a saucepan, combine sugar, syrup, and butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Continue cooking without stirring. Bring mixture to a boil and boil for two minutes.
Remove from heat, let cool.

In a separate bowl, beat eggs, vanilla, and salt until light and frothy.

Stir egg mixture into cooled sugar mixture.

Add 1 1/3 cups pecans to each of the two unbaked pie shells.

Dividing the pie mixture in half, pour over the pecans.

Bake in 375 degree oven for 5 minutes.
Turn oven down to 325 degrees and continue baking for 35-40 minutes.
I baked my pies for the full additional 40 minutes.

Like I said, the pies were really good. But after tasting the pies, we were pretty sure she must have used sorghum syrup where I used dark Karo. I can't wait to try them with sorghum!

Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!
Today is 1.1.22, so I would like to wish you all a very Blessed and Happy New Year!

John 3:16

'til we sweet again, Karen💗


No comments:

Post a Comment