Thursday, December 19, 2013

Mini Mug Peppermint "Gingerbread" House


--------------------------------------------------------
Melted Peppermints Crafts
--------------------------------------------------------
Merry Christmas from our house to yours!

Today I'm guest posting at The 36th Avenue!
If you've never visited Desiree's site..it is beautiful with tons of great ideas. Plus she's super nice and thinks my crafts are sweet! Click the link to see my tutorial there and all the other adorableness going on! 

I've had this sweet little cookie cutter set for nearly three weeks and yay..I've made my tiny little "gingerbread" house! I've seen several variations of these cuties around, and here are a couple of my favorites. Meghan over at the decorated cookie made adorable mini houses on a stick! 

And check out these sweet little snow-capped beauties Beth made at Hungry Happenings!

If you've visited me in the last month or so, you might think I'm kinda 'stuck' on Starlight mints!
Just check out these MITTENS, or how about my STOCKINGS!

I may have to change my name to Sugartown Melted Sweets, 
what with all the Christmas crafts I've made this season.
You can perch these on a mug..or display it with your decorations, which is what I think I'm going to do!
Bake @ 325 degrees for 10 minutes.
I purchased my cutter set at fancy flours. It may seem a bit pricey, but this is one I'll for sure use again.




As this was my first time constructing a house..it was little tricky, until I laid it on its side like so. When the icing set, I added the final back piece. There, easy peasy. (I've been waiting to say that!)
For the chimney, I used a piece of candy cane. Royal icing piped on top makes for some sweet "smoke". I attached snowflake sprinkles to the top of the roof. Holly sprinkles and silver dragees were also added for a festive touch along with sugar sprinkled on for 'snow'. I also made a tiny little peppermint heart using the same method as I did with the house.
That's it! Cute as can be, don't cha think?



(since I needed only a small amount of icing for construction, this is the recipe I used)
Royal Icing Recipe
1 cup 10 x sugar
1 Tablespoon meringue powder
1 1/2 Tablespoons warm water
1/2 teaspoon light corn syrup
Cover your mixer bowl with a damp dish towel.
Mix dry ingredients on low.
Add water and corn syrup.
Mix on low 7-10 minutes till you have stiff peaks.
Luke 2: 1-20 ..."For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord"....
Wishing You All a Blessed Christmas
From Our House to Yours!
Thanks for Stopping by Sugartown Sweets Today.
Comments are Welcome.


9 comments:

  1. You are the master at melting sweets. These houses are absolutely amazing. I might need to get that metal cutter set now. I'm not sure the plastic one I have would work with hot candy. I haven' tried your candy melting method. I need to get on that soon:o)

    Beth @ Hungry Happenings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth. I know that whatever you create will be awesome! :o)

      Delete
  2. Everything you make is just so beautiful!! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so creative! I would have never thought about doing something like that! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen,

    I'm a writer for SheKnows.com and I'm putting together a slide show featuring fun gingerbread house and other fun decorating ideas for kids for the upcoming holiday season. I came across this tutorial on your blog and I would love your permission to include one of your photos in my slide show.

    If you're willing to let me use one image from the post, I will attribute photo credit to you as well as link back to your site for the photo and the tutorial, so new readers can check out your great blog. We will share the slide show across our social media channels as well. I can be reached at Meganazande@gmail.com

    Thanks for your consideration,
    Megan Zander

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen, these houses are very beautiful and creative. Wonderful idea. So I went to fancy flours and I couldn't find the cookie cutters. Can you tell us all where to find the metal or tin cookie cutters? I like so many others only have them in plastic 😢 My family and I would love to make your fantastic creation this holiday. Thank you, Elizabeth Castro

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth, thank you so much for the compliment!
    I have been googling today and absolutely can not find the metal cutter set! I am so sorry! I purchased mine in 2013 and it appears it is no longer available. I even checked on ebay with no luck. I will keep looking and if I happen to find one, I will leave you a message here. Here's to hoping I will!

    ReplyDelete