Monday, October 7, 2013

Apple Bread


Moist Apple Bread you say? Why yes it is..thank you!
Hubby and I have a favorite apple house in North Carolina that we have been visiting for over 20 years..Barber's Orchard! The Golden Delicious apples have always been my go to, but I decided to add Honeycrisp to the list this time. I love them. And while Barber's makes many delicious apple treats, today I am making my own yummy and moist Apple Bread by adapting my Banana Bread recipe. 
Next week it's..Caramel Apple Cookies!

 Saigon cinnamon is the variety I use to make Cinnamon sugar. One sniff and you'll know why! 
I used half of the Cinnamon sugar to coat the loaf pan and the other half to mix into shredded apples.
I used one Golden Delicious and one Honeycrisp..just to be fair ya know.. ;o) 
I also gently pressed out just some of the juice from the shredded apples.
Stir half of the cinnamon sugar into apples and set aside.
I love butter flavor Crisco to grease my cake pans. 
Use the remaining half of Cinnamon sugar to coat the baking pan.
Add all dry ingredients in mixing bowl whisking to combine.
 In a separate bowl, add eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. 
Gently whisk together and add to flour mixture stirring just till moistened.
Fold in shredded apples.
Pour batter into prepared pan.
 Bake @ 325 degrees for 55-60 minutes.
I'm baking mine for 58 minutes or just until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.

 Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan...
 and enjoy!
Apple Bread Recipe
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda 
1/2 teaspoon allspice 
*(homemade allspice recipe=1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg & 1/4  teaspoon cloves)*
1/2 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 medium apples peeled, cored and shredded. Gently press out just some of the juice.

Cinnamon Sugar Recipe
1/4 cup sugar mixed with 1 tablespoon cinnamon

Grease 9x5 inch loaf pan. (I use butter flavor Crisco)
Coat with half the Cinnamon sugar.
Stir remaining half of Cinnamon sugar into shredded apples and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and allspice. In a separate bowl, gently whisk together oil, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla. Add to flour mixture just till moistened.
Fold in shredded apples. Pour into prepared loaf pan. 
Bake @ 325 degrees for 55-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan.

Happy Fall Baking From
SUGARTOWN SWEETS!
Join Sugartown Sweets site Today & Thanks For Stopping By!

10 comments:

  1. I'm definitely making this...it will be our snack for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made them (I did it as muffins). They are soooo delicious! It's a winner with the whole family...that can be hard to do sometimes with 5 boys! :)
      Thanks for the great recipe!
      Tara H

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad y'all liked them! Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment..happy baking!

      Delete
  2. Wow I'm getting hungry just looking at this apple bread! I've never thought about adding the cinnamon and sugar to the greased pan but I bet that makes for a really nice flavor! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenni, and it really does! I've been sugaring my pans for years..I just love the extra little crunch it gives my sweets. :o)

      Delete
  3. I love that tip too, thats how I fix all my cake pans with the sugar ever since you told me, and thatlooks so good cant wait til fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Can't wait to make them. Did you ever make the caramel cookies? Barbers Orchard stopped making them, sadly, and we have not figured out how to recreate them. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello BeachBound! Yes I did make the cookies and they turned out pretty bad..so..sadly, no post for those. And bummer! My hubby and I are heading out tonight and stopping by Barbers tomorrow. We will miss those amazing cookies! I may have to try making them again. Thank you so much for stopping by Sugartown Sweets! :o)

      Delete